Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Language of the Maroons of Jamaica

I was searching for videos on YouTube from Jamaica and I came across a channel about indigenous languages in the Caribbean. For the first time in my life I heard the Arawak language as well as the language of the Maroons. The Maroon's language is said to be very close to a language spoken by people in Ghana. Knowing that people in Jamaica still have such a direct connection to Africa is amazing. My stepmother has said that her family are Maroons which is very cool to know. I'm gonna have to share these videos with my sister, I'm sure she'll be glad to know how special her heritage is.


Maroons was the term given to runaway slaves, from the Spanish word cimarrones meaning 'wild ones.' New Nanny Town in Portland was to become one of four permanent sites where runaway slaves lived freely from British rule. According to legend, Nanny was the leader of this community of runaway slaves in the 18th century.

This photograph was taken by the bridge that spans the river at the entrance to the Maroon town. The bridge acts as a natural barrier for the community. The town is high in the Portland hills with a view that made it secure for this community of runaway slaves.


No comments:

Post a Comment